Thursday, September 11, 2008

Beginnings: Say It Isn't So

According to my most recent newsletter from Duotrope's Digest, Beginnings "went on hiatus over a year ago with the intention to return in August 2008; website dead and emails bounce; we are declaring this a dead market."

For years Beginnings functioned as a print publication where new writers got their first break. Not all new writers––my first submission that received rave reviews at a writer's conference wasn't accepted––but my second, Dora's Memoir, since reprinted in The Rose and Thorn, was. The thing about Beginnings was, you could only publish with them once. After that you weren't a new writer anymore. I think of all the publications claiming to publish "new and emerging writers" along with more experienced one. Beginnings didn't just talk the talk; they walked the walk.

I'd hate to see them go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails